Monday 29 April 2013

My dearest Freiberg

Freiberg is always worth visiting!


This little town in the heart of Saxony, more exactly midway between Dresden, the capital of the state, and Chemnitz, is my "German" home town.

Freiberg...here we go!
I lived for almost 8 years in Freiberg. During this time I got my Phd and worked in a research institute. In Freiberg I  made an uncountable number of friends from all over the world, I did some voluntary service in some schools and in the local theater. Till today I am connected to this extraordinary project in Kenya (www.openhearts.jimdo.com), which started in Freiberg.
The upper market (Obermarkt).
Freiberg is a 850 years old and very picturesque small town. Its history started with the discover of silver in the region, justifying its mining tradition and its tradition in mining education in the Technical University and Mining Academy of Freiberg (TUBaF). Freiberg is also known as the door to the Saxonian ore mountains (Erzgebirge).
The upper market (Obermarkt).
The most famous spots of the city are the Upper and the Lower Market, the Freundenstein castle, the St. Maria Cathedral, Donat tower and the Nikolai church.
The Nikolai church at the "Butter Market".
The Donat Tower.
It was good to meet the old friends, above all, my German family, the Bienecks, and feel the Saxonian warmth again.

The "Roter Weg" house.

Freiberg is kinda temporary station in the life of almost all the people I met there. It gave them such a great time, lots of fun and adventures, in their lives, then let them go. This is what this lovely little town is.
The restaurant potato house (Kartoffelhaus).
Note: I'm specially proud of the little bit of Saxonian accent on my German I got along the years!

It was good to see you again!
Glück auf!

No comments:

Post a Comment